ABOUT THE SOCIETY
The Powell Street Festival Society’s (PSFS) mission is to cultivate Japanese Canadian arts and culture to connect communities. Our main activity is producing the Powell Street Festival (PSF) in Vancouver’s historic Japanese Canadian neighbourhood. PSF is an annual celebration of Japanese Canadian arts and culture. It is the largest event of its kind in Canada and the longest running festival in Metro Vancouver, entering its 41st year. The Society also produces its own programming as part of an annual season and participates in co-presentations with other arts organizations throughout the year.
Powell Street Festival Society seeks a dedicated team player for the position of Administrative Associate for the 41th annual Powell Street Festival. This temporary position is fulltime. It starts immediately and ends March 17, 2017.
Working with the PSFS staff, Board of Directors and festival committees, the Administrative Associate will develop Powell Street Festival Society’s contact databases in Access 2013, and manage our documents, filing, and information by building a reliable cloud cased data storage space using Office 365. Duties include:
- Researching best practices for Office 365 OneDrive and SharePoint storage
- Researching best practices for Access Database
- Working with our expert volunteers and staff in developing information management systems that suit the needs of the Society
- Ensuring that our information management follows confidentiality laws and regulations set out by Provincial and Federal authorities
- Training volunteers and staff in proper use of the completed and data storage space (Office 365) and contact Database (Access)
- Develop a training manual for new users of the data storage space and database.
- Other administrative and organizational tasks as needed, assisting the Artistic Director, Executive Director, and Administrative Assistant
- Assistance at community events and/or meetings
The ideal candidate will have exceptional and holistic organizational skills. They will have experience with a variety of computer technologies and software, with Windows OS, Office 365, and Access 2013 an asset. The position requires exceptional communication skills. The candidate must interpret the technological various needs of a diverse group of individuals, and fulfill these needs within the limitations of a user interface. They will have experience with volunteer-run organizations, be able to work with limited resources, and be able to work calmly under pressure. The candidate must be creative and resourceful.
Working knowledge of Japanese or other Asian languages is an asset, and/or experience working with non-native English language speakers. Specific experience with, or knowledge of, the national and local Asian Canadian arts scenes, the mainstream arts community, and of the operations of non-profit societies is also desirable. Candidates should be familiar and comfortable working in the Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood in which the Festival has been held for the past 40 years and the office is located.
An ideal candidate will have a background in information technology, computer science, library studies, museum studies, databases, education, and/or another related field.
Must be available during the day, during the week, and for some evenings and weekends as needed.
The deadline for applications is October 31st, with candidates being considered as soon as applications are received.
Applications will be accepted by email. Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] and gm[at]powellstreetfestival.com, and include “JOB” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Please indicate that you qualify for VCN Youth Internships.
The Society is accepting applications from that qualify for Vancouver Community Network Youth Internships. Please answer these questions in the body of your email in order to be considered:
- Are you between 15 and 30 years old (under 31)? Yes/No
- Are you a high-school graduate/student? Yes/No
- Are you a Canadian citizen/Permanent Resident? Yes/No.
Powell Street Festival Society thanks all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.