We are looking for dynamic, eager and committed new members to join the Board of Directors of Vancouver’s oldest community-run Festival. The Board of Directors ensure that the Powell Street Festival Society (PSFS) has good governance and is guided by our mission, vision and values to cultivate Japanese Canadian arts and culture, and to connect communities. The Board of Directors are ambassadors in promoting our mission and our vision that includes a society enriched and interconnected through Japanese Canadian arts and culture.
Skills & Experience
Current knowledge and understanding of board committee work or willingness to learn; interest in Japanese Canadian arts, culture and history; willingness to participate actively in meetings and at the Festival; interest in arts and culture programming within the non-profit sector
Experience in any of the following areas is considered an asset: finance, fundraising, professional arts, marketing, legal, community development, non-profit.
Benefits & Recognition
Board of Directors are provided with opportunities to network with artists, art-loving professionals, and members of the Japanese Canadian and Asian Canadian communities, and are listed on our company website: www.powellstreetfestival.com.
There are also opportunities to attend PSFS’ and PSFS partners’ productions and presentations, and activities related to PSFS’ annual programming.
Deliverables / Duties
- 2 year commitment
- Committed to ensuring good governance of PSFS.
- Active participation and attendance at a minimum 7 out of 9 meetings/year, including a 1.5 day board retreat, and the Annual General Meeting
- Support of the PSFS’ fundraising goals
- Participation on one of PSFS’ committees: Programming, Advocacy & Outreach, or Fundraising
- If possible act as Core Coordinators during the Powell Street Festival on the BC-day long weekend.
Number of Volunteers Required
Approximate Position Start Date
Approximate Position End Date
7-8 hours per month
Time & Day of Volunteer Engagement
For more information or to apply, please contact
Photo: Scopophiliacs Photography