Saturday January 15, 2022
11:30 AM – 2:30 PM | CRAB Park Beach
Ceremonial burning of Daruma as transformation and honouring our ancestors
On January 15th 2022, the final cycle of Powell Street Festival’s Daruma Well Wishing campaign will take place in collaboration with elder Veronica’s sacred fire at CRAB park. In person or in spirit, join us as we place the 4000+ paper daruma in the sacred fire to complete the wishes of healing and wellness folded into each daruma by community members in the Downtown Eastside and across Canada.
This Shinto ritual offers the final transformation towards healing as well as honours the ancestors of the land. Durational taiko drumming will accompany the event as we share in the ceremony. Food will be provided by WePress Community Kitchen.
This event will also be live streamed online – check this page or visit our YouTube channel on January 15th to watch.
This event will take place near the gazebo on the west side of CRAB Park beach. Please see the above map for a visual.
We Encourage you to consider carpooling, walking, or taking public transportation to this event! CRAB Park is roughly 17 minutes by foot from Waterfront Station, and 4-6 blocks away from the #50 (Powell & Columbia), #4, #7 and #209 (Main & Powell/Cordova & Main) bus stops.
The health and safety of our guests, staff, volunteers, and community is important to us. A number of safety practices will be in place at Daruma Kuyō including:
- Strongly recommending all guests, volunteers, and participants to wear a mask at the event. We will have a few on-hand in case you forgot one!
- Hand sanitizer will be placed near food, daruma to burn, and other high-touch areas
- Items are to be self-serve, rather than passed hand-to-hand
- Staff will circulate to collect information for contact tracing and to ensure queues are appropriately spaced. Contact information will be kept for 30 days, in accordance with applicable regulations, and will not be shared unless requested by public health.
- Staff, volunteers, and performers are to stay home if they are feeling sick.
- Likewise, if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or would rather participate in spirit, you are invited to watch the livestream version of this event, available on this page Saturday, December 15th from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM
- Guests are asked to greet each-other with a smile and wave, as opposed to a hug and handshake, and to respect physical distancing, respiratory etiquette, and the comfort levels of others
For more info on our COVID Safety protocols at this event, please click here. We’re looking forward to seeing you, in-person or online.