Job Opportunity: Festival Crew (2022)
The Powell Street Festival Society’s (PSFS) mission is to cultivate Japanese Canadian arts and culture to connect communities. The main activity is producing the Powell Street Festival (PSF), an annual celebration of Japanese Canadian arts, music and culture in Vancouver’s historic Japanese Canadian neighbourhood, Paueru Gai in the Downtown Eastside (DTES). With the support of over 250 volunteers, this two-day free event is the largest of its kind in Canada and the longest running festival in Metro Vancouver (since 1977). PSFS is a non-profit professional arts presenter that is progressive, diverse, contemporary, and compelling.
Festival Crew (2 positions)
Powell Street Festival Society seeks dedicated team players for the position of Festival Crew for the 46th Annual Powell Street Festival. This temporary position is a full-time position (35 hr/week) and will start as early as June 13 for a 7-week period.
The position will require working remotely at the Administration and Production offices, as well as on location. Current health guidelines and protocols will be respected. Some manual labour will be required. This temporary position is a full-time position (35 hr/week).
Working with the PSFS staff, Board of Directors and volunteers, the Festival Crew will assist with tasks related to the Festival production, with particular emphasis on site coordination. Adaptions are anticipated as a result of Covid 19; however, duties include:
- assisting with the site preparations and installation
- assisting with data and website content management
- coordinating the cleaning, storage and inventory of festival equipment and supplies
- playing a lead role in the distribution of equipment and supplies during the festival weekend
- assisting with the creation of the coordinator packages and materials
participating in day-to-day administrative work
- participating in the Cultural Worker Training Program and staff meetings
- maintaining the volunteer database and Masturi database
- recruiting volunteers
- assisting with lottery coordination
- assisting with artist and vendor equipment and staging requirements
- necessary post-festival wrap-up
The Festival Crew reports to the Production Coordinator.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to handle a multifaceted group of dedicated volunteers.
- experience with volunteer-run organizations is an asset.
- they will have an ability to work calmly under pressure.
- The position requires exceptional organizational skills.
- The candidate must be creative and resourceful, and able to assess and handle difficult situations.
- Working knowledge of Japanese or other Asian languages is an asset, and/or experience working with non-native English language speakers.
- Specific experience with, or knowledge of, the national and local Asian Canadian arts scenes, the mainstream arts community, and of the operations of non-profit societies is also desirable.
- First aid training is an asset.
- For contributing to event productions, the ability to lift up to 50 lbs, bend, kneel, use stairs and stepladders, etc. is an asset.
- Candidates should be familiar and comfortable working in the Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood in which the Festival has been held for over 40 years.
Must have a flexible schedule and able to work some evenings and weekends, including attending committee meetings as needed. Must be available during the following dates for the Powell Street Festival (July 24 to August 3, 2022).
The deadline for applications is 5:00 pm, May 31, 2022.
Applications will be accepted by email only. Please submit a resume and cover letter to jobs[at]powellstreetfestival.com, and include “Festival Crew” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Powell Street Festival Society thanks all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Wage is commensurate with experience: $18.40-$20.00/hour
Please indicate if you are eligible for Canada Summer Jobs.
Download job posting pdf: Festival Crew 2022